The Plan Bee: Research
I am proposing to have a scientific committee to follow the bee studies in Lebanon.
- The scientific articles regarding bees are fewer than ten!
- The evolution of the bee sector was centered towards Beekeeping much more than bees alone. Therefore with time we went more towards beekeeping experts, much more than Bee expert (in French Apiculteur et Apidologue).
- Bees in Lebanon didn’t benefit as they should from all the new techniques (GIS, remote sensing, PCR, Elisa,).
- Many laboratories (universities) and very well equipped to make these measurements. Therefore shifting towards bees is not costly and can bee easily done.
- There are few trials here and there but they were never put together.
The only “agency” dealing with bees is لجنة النحل in the ministry of Agriculture. And the scientific research is beyond the goals and expertise of this committee.
The bee sector is much wider than beekeeping and, nor beekeepers nor cooperatives are equipped to do so.
- Whom to invite?
Expertise who might help in my opinion are many.
- Chemistry , pesticides
- Chemistry, food quality
- Forestry Specialist (silviculture).
- GIS and remote sensing
- Vulgarization and Extension.
- Action plan
3.1. Creation of a Research Post in CNRS, Lari, >>>
3.2. Creation of a preparation committee.
3.3. One day seminar (around Dec).
3.4. Follow up of the decisions.
- Expected output:
4.1. Creation of the “Plan Bee”.
4.2. Scientific publications and seminars.
4.3. Each researcher can prepare a project and submit them to donors.
4.4. The CNRS might have a global idea and distribute the tasks through the post or any other responsibility